Does the Global Health Card cover my whole family?

Does the Global Health Card cover my whole family?

The GHIC Previously known as (EHIC) is individual: it covers only the cardholder, a family Global Health Insurance Card does not exist. If you want to cover your whole family, each family member will require their own GHIC. You can start your application here.

The GHIC allows residents of the European Economic Area (EEA) to receive basic healthcare when they travel in another country of the EEA as if they were resident of that country. The EEA includes all the countries of Europe, plus Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein. The Global Health Card is a must for everyone who plans to travel within the EEA as it provides the peace of mind of receiving adequate medical care in case anything would happen without fearing unexpected large bills.

 Click here if you want to know more about what is covered and what is not.

Family applications

It is possible to apply for an GHIC for yourself and your partner. You can also apply on behalf of your children if they are under the age of 16, or under the age of 19 if they are still in full-time education. If you apply on behalf of someone and you already have your own GHIC, you will need to enter your details first and then apply for any additional cards as your dependents. You can also apply for Global Health Insurance Card for your partner or child separately.

If you wish to apply for an Global  Health Card but you are under 16, you will need to be assisted by a parent, a guardian, or a boarding school staff taking care of you. For each application, you will need to give the following information:

  • First name
  • Last name
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number (NIN) or NHS Number

Please note that residents of Scotland will need to provide their CHI number, and residents of Northern Ireland will need to provide their Health and Care Number.

Temporary National Insurance Number 

You will not be able to apply with a Temporary National Insurance Numbers. A temporary NIN is easy to recognize. Indeed, it starts with the letters “TN” and ends with “M” or “F” to indicate gender.  You will need to receive your definitive National Insurance Number to complete your application.

Once it is completed, your application will then be checked and processed. It usually takes 7 days to receive your new card. We recommend you to do your applications in advance of any former cards expiry. Indeed, the GHIC is valid for 5 years and you can renew it up to 6 months before it expires.