How do I apply for a European Health Insurance Card?

How do I apply for a European Health Insurance Card?


We can assist you to apply for or renew your EHIC. You can start your application here.

Please note that we are neither affiliated nor part of the NHS. However we can submit an application on your behalf for a modest fee, but we cannot issue the EHIC ourselves as this decision rests solely on the NHS. If you prefer to apply using the NHS service, the application or renewal will be free of charge.

The EHIC allows you to receive public healthcare while you are travelling for a temporary period in another country of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

If you are in need of medical treatment while you are travelling the EHIC will cover it until you are back home. While you are abroad, you will receive the same treatment a local resident would receive in that country.

  • In most countries, this treatment will be either free of charge or at a reduced cost. If you receive treatment in one of these countries, you will either have nothing to pay or a fraction of the cost.
  • Some countries’ healthcare systems rely on patient co-payment. It means that the patients will have to pay a fraction of the public treatment they receive. If you receive treatment in one of these countries, you will have to pay the same amount a local resident of this country would pay.

We recommend you to always check what type of healthcare system operates in the country you are going to visit. For more information, please refer to our guide.

If you receive treatment in the UK for a medical condition, your EHIC will cover it as long as your trip is not specifically to receive this treatment. The EHIC covers routine maternity care as well. However, it is not allowed to visit a country to specifically give birth.

EHIC or Travel Insurance?

The EHIC does not replace private travel insurance as it will not cover any private healthcare or costs. For example, your EHIC will not be applicable in the following cases:

  • mountain rescue transfers in ski resorts.
  • if you receive treatment while you are on a cruise.
  • Repatriation cost to the UK.

We strongly recommend you to travel with both your EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. If you hold an EHIC, many insurers will waive the excess.

Richard Howard

Travel Specialist at EU Health Card Submission Service
With over 10yrs experience in the passport and travel industry, Richard Howard knows a thing or two about how to travel overseas with the right proof of ID, paperwork, travel insurance and health coverage. This website provides FREE information on the EHIC card and what it covers vs doesnt that could well save you thousands if not tens of thousands in medical bills. Have Questions? Call us on: 0203 6000 185. Abroad? +44203 6000 185